Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday, September 8, 2013

8th & I

Squat 1 x 6 @ 70%; 1 x 6 @ 80%; 1 x 3 @ 90%; 1 x 2 @ 95%

215; 245; 275; 290

Front squat 1 x 5 @ 65%; 1 x 4 @ 75%; 2 x 4 @ 80%

170; 200; 210

? rounds of:


Rest 2 minutes between rounds

Notes:  290 was an absolute bear for a double.  The first rep was pretty smooth, but the second rep was a battle.  It always looks easier on video.  But, when you have the weight on your back, it feels like the rep takes much longer.  I'll have an opportunity to go for a new 1 RM next Sunday if I'm feeling up to it.  To be honest, I'm not that concerned with it.  I'm more concerned with how all this squatting will translate over to the my thruster/pull-up workout that I have planned for this week.  The purpose behind all of this squatting is to develop the necessary leg strength/power to blast through things like thrusters, cleans, snatches, and deadlifts at moderate weight.  It does me no good to have a bigger 1 RM but still get smoked by the moderate weight barbell movements.  Really wanted to do some type of walking lunges/carries today so I paired overhead walking lunges with burpees.  It turned out to be a solid combination.  And, I used the "?" again in my programming with the intention of doing as many rounds as my legs could withstand on the lunges.  I barely made it to the finish line on the fourth set, so I decided to stop there.  The voice inside of me was telling me that I was a pansy for not doing a fifth round, but I figured it was best to stop short of failure today.  I used a 60-pound "curl" bar for the lunges, which turned out to be perfect.  Lastly, burpees were really crisp today -- my mobility has improved a lot and I could feel that it was much easier to get my feet up to my hands.  Rowing tomorrow.         

No comments:

Post a Comment