Friday, September 6, 2013

Friday, September 6, 2013

8th & I (am)

For time:

3 rounds of:  9 power snatches (95) & 9 wall ball shots
3 rounds of:  6 power snatches (115) & 9 wall ball shots
3 rounds of:  3 power snatches (135) & 9 wall ball shots

17.22

Row 40 minutes (aerobic restoration) (pm)

8,158 meters; 2.27.0 (20) (145)

Notes:  I'm struggling to articulate my thoughts about today's workout.  On one hand, it was good because I felt powerful on the snatches, kept a fairly steady pace, and went unbroken on all sets of wall ball shots.  On the other hand, it was bad because I was a full 4 minutes slower today than I was back in February when I finished in 13.26.  I maintained a conservative pace from the outset because I didn't want to flame-out.  I haven't been doing workouts of this nature -- more traditional CrossFit-type workouts.  I think it was just one of those things where, had I maintained a slightly faster pace, I could have shaved off quite a bit of time.  I simply don't have the exposure right now to this type of workout and wasn't sure how fast I could go.  So, it's understandable that I'm a bit out of practice with this type of workout.  However, it's still a bit frustrating that I've been training so hard and am way off my time on a workout from February.  I gave the snatches too much respect, particularly at 135, and should have just kept banging.  

Today's row was a bit odd.  I came out of the gates holding a 2.24 split, but my heart rate quickly elevated up into the low-140's.  This never happens.  When I row at that pace, my heart rate usually stays in the 120's and slowly, slowly creeps upward.  I quickly had to drop it down to a 2.28 split in order to stay below my heart rate cap.  I basically spent the entire 40 minutes in the 138-143 range.  I'm wondering if my working out in the morning may have something to do with it.  Could be a sign of overtraining/under-recovering.  Tomorrow could end up being a much lighter gymnastics-type day if I'm feeling beat up.                

No comments:

Post a Comment