Monday, September 2, 2013

Monday, September 2, 2013

8th & I

4 rounds, each for time, of:

15 C2B
20 over-the-box jumps (24)
25 KB swings (55)

Rest 2 minutes between rounds

1.  2.27
2.  3.39
3.  3.58
4.  4.13

Notes:  This workout provided a nice opportunity to build C2B volume while also getting some interval-style conditioning.  It turned out to be tougher than expected -- in fact, most of the Invictus-inspired workouts are turning out to be tougher than expected.  I had already scaled the swings down from 70 to 55, and probably should've dropped the number of reps, too.  I went unbroken through the first round, but then C2B were broken 8/7, 5/5/5, and 5/4/3/3.  I completely underestimated the over-the-box jumps.  Those do a number on your legs are really jack your heart rate.  And, of course, grip on the swings started to fail and I had to break those.  As can be seen from the video of the fourth round, I simply didn't have the stamina deep into this workout to keep moving at a steady pace.  The 2-minute rest period was not really enough to fully recover.  In any case, it's good to work at the margins every once in a while to see where things are breaking down.  I learned today that my C2B volume simply isn't where it needs to be for me to be competitive in the Open.  
Played some awesome games of beach volleyball this afternoon.  I can't believe how fun it is, particularly when the level of play is high and the rallies are good.  Back in the gym tomorrow evening for some upper body strength work and moderate conditioning.     

No comments:

Post a Comment